Program Reminder October and November 2018
Photo: Restless Flycatcher by Sharon McGrigor
For full program and more information download the PDF from our Facebook page or BBB website www.byronbirdbuddies.com.au – Note– sudden changes may occur to our program, so it’s best to email. For surveys, experience is not necessary. Beginners are welcomed at all outings which will provide an opportunity to learn about our birds and their habitat.
Contacts– firstname.lastname@example.org, message Byron Bird Buddies or phone Jan -02 66803279 or Mobile 0428864378 if you are considering joining us. Alternate Contact– for BBB & BVBW activities – contact Anne –66291475 or email@example.com
What To Bring– Always wear covered shoes and bring water, hat, sunscreen and insect repellent. Except for presentation days, always bring something to eat for morning or afternoon tea and lunch if it’s over the lunch period. For presentation days bring a plate to share for morning or afternoon tea
During October & November – Continue monitor shorebird nesting activity and migrating shorebirds record observations on an Excel spreadsheets. Please, contact Jan firstname.lastname@example.org you wish to participate in a nesting bird-watch.
PLEASE NOTE: Big Scrub Rainforest Day-Due to the weather, this event will now be held at Lismore City Hall & due to other circumstances BBBand Birdlife Northern Rivers will not be having a stall.
Sunday 21st October– Big Scrub Rainforest Day.
Where– Lismore City Hall
Time– 7am to 3pm
For more details and program go to the website www.bigscrubrainforest.org
Monday 22ndOctober – Start of Bird week
If you wish to do your own thing, become a citizen scientist and join thousand of people during National Bird Week 2018 by surveying your own backyard, local park or favorite open space as BirdLife Australia are again running the project “Aussie Backyard Bird Count”. You can register for the project by downloading the AP from http://aussiebirdcount.org.au
During the Byron Bird Buddies will be exploring some of the locations highlighted in our brochure “Birds of Byron Shire” which was launched last year -walks will be limited to 15 people so please register by contacting email@example.com or phoning 0428864378.
- Monday – 22nd – 8am-12md – Cumbebin Wetlands NR– boardwalk and bike track (Brochure Walk No.7) – Meet at the corner of Somerset and Wordsworth Street, Byron Bay behind the Butler St Market site.
- Wednesday – 24th– 10am-11am– Byron Bay Library – Presentation “Birds of Byron Shire” and Art Display. Meet at the library. (Now cancelled)
- Friday – 26th– 8am – 12md – Marshalls Creek NR– meet at the corner of Kolora Way and Old New Road ( Site No.17 on brochure)
- Sunday – 28th 8am – 3pm – Byron Wetlands– Morning walk & Afternoon Presentation. (Brochure Walk No 9) Walk starts 8am – 12md & Presentation starts at 2pm. Meet at the gate for the 8am walk -people can gain entry with their keys; for people without keys the gate will be opened at 7.45 and closed at 08.00 am. For the presentation the gate will be opened between 1.45pm & 2pm – if you are late please phone 0428864378. Cost – a plate of nibbles to share but bring your own lunch if staying all day. BBB will provide tea & coffee. The PowerPoint presentation will be of the Migrating Bushbirds of the Northern Rivers and limited to 30 people so please register.
BBB Program November Update 2018
- Saturday 10th-Snipe Count – Meet at the Byron Wetlands at 8am– check all 3 sites Byron Wetlands, SeaPeace & Belongil Ponds. High tide 10.57 – 1.66mts
- Tuesday 13th– 8.30 – Stakeholder meeting– Belongil Opening Strategy
- Thursday 15th– 8am – Ballina U3A at Wetlands – Guided walk & presentation
- Sunday 25th– 7.30am- Shorebird 2020 Survey -Belongil Estuary
Birds of Byron Shire Birding Brochure Site No 8
Meetat Elements Carpark end of Bayshore Drive-High tide 10.44 -1.82
How to Get There – Turn into Bayshore Drive from Ewingsdale Rd and travel to end.
Bring –morning tea and a chair
- Monday 26th – 7.30 am- Shorebird 2020 survey –Marshalls Creek & Brunswick Salt Marsh. Birds of Byron Shire Birding Brochure Site No 15
Meet at end of North Head Road – New Brighton
Access –North over Brunswick River Bridge on Tweed Valley Way, 2ndexit off roundaboutinto Rajah Rd, 2ndL into Warrnambool Rd,2ndexit next roundabout continuing over Orana Bridge, 1st R into North Head Road to the end of dirt road.
Bring –morning tea
Other Northern River Bird-watching Groups – Outing dates
- Wednesday October 24th– Tuckean Swamp – Richmond/Brunswick Birdwatchers Outing (Note name change for Brunswick Valley Birdwatchers) 00 -13.00 – Meet at the corner of Marom Creek Rd and Wardell Rd
- Wednesday November 7th& 21st 00 – 13.00 -To be advised – contact firstname.lastname@example.org– Richmond/Brunswick Birdwatchers Outing
- Sunday – November 11th– 30 – 13.00 at Rocky Creek Dam – BirdLife NR – check the website for details http://www.birdlife.org.au/events/detail/birdlife-northern-rivers-outing48/birdlife-northern-nsw/